Author Topic: Interesting Antoria LP Jr-style bass.  (Read 7475 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Interesting Antoria LP Jr-style bass.
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 09:10:37 AM »
You want ugly?

Didn't really improve the playability, either.

Exactly.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 09:42:07 AM »
:thumbsup:

If you need it, Rob.  Grid is one inch.

Thank you Carlo. That may come in handy. Can you tell me the body / neck angle by any chance?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 09:45:29 AM »
I like that Antoria!

I find the LP Jr shape to be very comfortable, as evidenced by my immersion in that design in more recent years  ;D

Here's a mid-scale flanked by two shorties.  The 'hog neck on the left one feels a lot like my '68 EB-3.  It's the Gibson design that should have been...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 09:58:27 AM »
Thank you Carlo. That may come in handy. Can you tell me the body / neck angle by any chance?

You're welcome.  All my short scale Gibsons are out of reach at the moment.  I work with whatever bridge I'm using so original neck angle is not something I'm usually concerned with, sorry. 

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 10:53:58 AM »
I like that Antoria!

I find the LP Jr shape to be very comfortable, as evidenced by my immersion in that design in more recent years  ;D

Here's a mid-scale flanked by two shorties.  The 'hog neck on the left one feels a lot like my '68 EB-3.  It's the Gibson design that should have been...

Those are all killer basses, Joe! The one on the right looks like it has two more frets clear of the body.  Is that to accommodate the trem?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »
I think a proper TV finish would have hiked the price of the bass somewhat. £300 doesn't get you too much bass these days.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 01:56:42 PM »

Rob, just checked.  Zero neck/body angle on my '60.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »
Nice looker. Hard to tell whether or not it will neck dive. Depends on the body weight. At least the strap button isn't on the back of the neck/body joint so it won't roll forward too.

Impressive wig on that guy. Is it included in the case candy?

Neck angle (if any) is going to depend on bridge height. The 2015 SG Standard Bass has a 1.5 degree neck angle according to the specs. With a bridge that sits lower than the Babicz you could get away with zero neck angle. A Schaller roller bridge ought to do the trick.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 02:25:56 PM »
Nice looker. Hard to tell whether or not it will neck dive. Depends on the body weight. At least the strap button isn't on the back of the neck/body joint so it won't roll forward too.

Impressive wig on that guy. Is it included in the case candy?

Neck angle (if any) is going to depend on bridge height. The 2015 SG Standard Bass has a 1.5 degree neck angle according to the specs. With a bridge that sits lower than the Babicz you could get away with zero neck angle. A Schaller roller bridge ought to do the trick.

Distance from the top of the body to the top of the fretboard is also a factor in determining necessary neck angle.

I ordered two through necks with zero neck angle and top of the fretboard 12mm above body line because that works with the bridge, Schaller 471-8.  I could've cut the 12mm in half and used a neck angle but that seemed unnecessarily complicated.  I'll see how it works out when they arrive next week, already have a plan B if there's a problem.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 02:40:36 PM »
Right, I should have mentioned that. The slothead era EB-0s and 3s had no neck angle even with the height of the 2-point bridge b/c the neck was raised higher above the body than Gibson had done before.  And it's also possible to partially sink a bridge into the body. That's what Warwick does (or at least they used to), while Gibson used the same W bridge mounted flush on the 90s LP basses and used a neck angle.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 04:06:21 PM »
Those are all killer basses, Joe! The one on the right looks like it has two more frets clear of the body.  Is that to accommodate the trem?

I think you're right. That was a custom order done in '90 w/factory Kahler, and the saddles are quite a bit further in compared to that '80 w/3-point.  Neck is maple on that one, and more of a slim carve typical of that era.

Here it was in original form... stealth divebomber.  Kinda liked the look, but just not a huge fan of the EMG-HBs.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »
I think you're right. That was a custom order done in '90 w/factory Kahler, and the saddles are quite a bit further in compared to that '80 w/3-point.  Neck is maple on that one, and more of a slim carve typical of that era.

Here it was in original form... stealth divebomber.  Kinda liked the look, but just not a huge fan of the EMG-HBs.

Thanks, Joe.  I hated the stock EMGs in my Chap 12.  Immediately replaced them with with a set of EMG ceramic and steel 3 coils with a push/pull SC/HB vol pot.  Switched them back when I sold it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 10:01:12 AM »
I'd rather have a Tele-slab bass myself. That particular slab style doesn't do anything for me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 11:09:11 AM »
Close enough to a real Gibson for me, I can live with that headstock and the color is not bad. Looks like a nice platform for mods, change the electronics, install all black hardware and you're set.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 06:21:52 PM »
Close enough to a real Gibson for me, I can live with that headstock and the color is not bad. Looks like a nice platform for mods, change the electronics, install all black hardware and you're set.

You and Uwe, stuck in the 80s with black hardware.  :P

I wouldn't dismiss that pickup without hearing it.