Author Topic: New tune with Ric 8 string  (Read 1039 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
New tune with Ric 8 string
« on: July 07, 2016, 08:21:48 AM »
The 8 string effect doesn't stand out that much in the track, but that's what I used. Enjoy!

https://www.reverbnation.com/nomadic1/song/26244099-carry-on

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: New tune with Ric 8 string
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 08:35:22 AM »
Cool track.  It's a dense mix (that rhythm guitar takes up a lot of space, competing with your octave strings) but the 8 string effect is there if mild and obscured - you'd be a lot more buried without it.  It's most apparent in the into/pre-verse chuggy bit as well as the solo section.  Though if you didn't mention it I may not have noticed.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 03:42:24 PM »
It is a cool track, but i would like the bass to be a little more forward in the mix, and a little less compressed. But what do I know, I'm just a bass player.

Shared on facebook,

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 04:03:44 PM »
It is a cool track, but i would like the bass to be a little more forward in the mix, and a little less compressed. But what do I know, I'm just a bass player.

Shared on facebook,

+1  :thumbsup:

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 07:33:50 AM »
Cool track.  It's a dense mix (that rhythm guitar takes up a lot of space, competing with your octave strings) but the 8 string effect is there if mild and obscured - you'd be a lot more buried without it.  It's most apparent in the into/pre-verse chuggy bit as well as the solo section.  Though if you didn't mention it I may not have noticed.

Part of it too is that the violin has a massive crunch tone. Some of the stuff he does, you would never know it was violin. It's a 7 string that goes down to a guitar in drop D tuning.

Shared on facebook,

I was thinking it's kind of a "safe" mix. The bass could definitely be more upfront, but I kinda don't want it to turn into a Chris Squire thing. Pure theory, but I think a mix like this one may subconsciously appeal to more people than if we started highlighting certain instruments. Having said that, we're aiming at a pretty niche audience, so maybe we SHOULD go for a more in-your-face mix. Something to think about...

And thank you for sharing!