Author Topic: Bach Bird  (Read 3492 times)

veebass

• View Profile
Bach Bird
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:29:49 AM »
What can you good people tell me about the single pickup non reverse Bach Bird? What are the specs? Quality of build and hardware? How well are they made? One has turned up that I am considering.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Bach Bird
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 07:56:21 AM »
I thought mine was great for the money. Probably could have used some fine tuning on the frets and nut, but I played mine mostly as-is with no problems. I did have the bridge saddles slotted. Sound-wise, I wasn't crazy about the stock pickup, though I know a lot of guys here were fine with it. I put a chrome-covered late model TB+ on it and it sounded like.... a Thunderbird II! Only reason I sold it was that the non-rev body style didn't seem to fit me well. Total neck-diver (which reminds me - I also moved the strap pin to the back of the neck heel).

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 02:59:35 PM »
There are several editions of the B&CH BTH1 aka BaCHbird.
The first series were all white. Had a very thick body that appeared to be some sort of sandwiched construction. A rather light colored wood with a thin layer of mahogany veneer on the front and back side.
The standard pickup was an Artec AlNiCo 5 humbucker. Although it was never intended to be the definite pickup for this bass, it turned out that many BaCHbird owners left the Artec untouched.

The second series was the same as the first series. Except it did not have the strange sandwich construction.
The third series had a much thinner body. Actually much closer to the original Non Reverse Thunderbird. And it was full mahogany. Available colors were black, light blue and white. Over the years these became the most sought after.
The fourth series had a slighty thicker body. All mahogany. Finished in transparent wine red. The body did not have a belly cut. This was the largest run. Although I'm not sure how many exactly.
Fifth series were available in honeyburst finish. The neck had a volute.

Not sure which series it was, but the later models had a belly cut and an armcut too.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 04:33:25 PM »
The first series were all white. Had a very thick body that appeared to be some sort of sandwiched construction. A rather light colored wood with a thin layer of mahogany veneer on the front and back side.
The standard pickup was an Artec AlNiCo 5 humbucker. Although it was never intended to be the definite pickup for this bass, it turned out that many BaCHbird owners left the Artec untouched.

The second series was the same as the first series. Except it did not have the strange sandwich construction.
The third series had a much thinner body. Actually much closer to the original Non Reverse Thunderbird. And it was full mahogany. Available colors were black, light blue and white. Over the years these became the most sought after.
The fourth series had a slighty thicker body. All mahogany. Finished in transparent wine red. The body did not have a belly cut. This was the largest run. Although I'm not sure how many exactly.

Not sure which series it was, but the later models had a belly cut and an armcut too.

Thanks for moving the thread. Sorry wasn't thinking.
Thanks for the info.
It is black, as you can see. Has an obvious belly cut. Looks to have a thinnish body. Can't see a volute from the pics available.
Third series? This one has an EMG BT preamp installed apparently.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 05:00:49 PM »
It looks like mine, so I think its a third version. I agree that the pickup is not the best, if you adjust it too low its weak, if you put it high its middy, but not like the mids of an overwounded pickup. The rest of the bass thru is very nice, a good platform to mod. I have left mine original, mostly because I am lazy, I just installed a set of flatwounds to get some extra lows.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 09:26:33 PM »
I have the thinner bodied version in black, so the third model? Super comfortable neck and great to play. I replaced the stock pickup with a humbucker sized TB Plus (like in the LP Standard basses) covered in a 76 TBird pickup cover. It's a great bass but it does neck dive a bit even with the moved strap button. I say grab one if you have a chance.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:25:19 PM »
I have the thinner bodied version in black, so the third model? Super comfortable neck and great to play. I replaced the stock pickup with a humbucker sized TB Plus (like in the LP Standard basses) covered in a 76 TBird pickup cover. It's a great bass but it does neck dive a bit even with the moved strap button. I say grab one if you have a chance.

Nice pickups those humbucker sized TB+s! Love them in my ES 335 bass.
Seriously considering the Bach, will need to see how (if) it bids up.

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 03:44:43 PM »

The guy withdrew it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 07:07:19 AM »
   I have three at the moment, one black thin body  a cherry and honey burst with thick bodies. All have little Bach quirks, wavy, finishes, a few file marks on the fingerboards but overall build quality is good. The important thing to me is they feel and play like a real NR in this price range they are the only real option. A Cataldo basses NR is about the only other option.  Two of mine have Dimarzio Model Gs under chrome covers, the other a Thunderbucker. Sorry you missed out, if another pops up grab it
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 04:44:02 PM »
Mine has also some minor paint defects, but thats about it, it plays good, action is more than acceptable and the price was almost a steal, so no complaints! :)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

pjm

• Proud Boy Bass Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 10:53:19 PM »
I just picked up a used Bach Non Reverse TB-1, i want to change the posts, knobs and jack, what do i need to order 250k or 500k?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 11:29:20 AM »
What is the reason you want to change the pots?