Author Topic: Double Neck Guitar & Basses  (Read 3725 times)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
Double Neck Guitar & Basses
« on: June 25, 2016, 07:30:11 AM »
I've been sort of poking around the internet looking at different double neck options. It seems that most guitars have the bass on top, guitar on the bottom. I'm wondering if there is a good reason for this. To me, it seems backwards. Without ever having or playing one, I would think that the bass should be on the bottom. Does anybody have any experience with these? Any input?

http://www.doublenecksg.com/Bass-Guitar-Double-Neck-DN640K-88.html

A little bird is trying to tell me to make one........... Put the set of Hobbit pickups & controls in the bass & set the guitar up like a normal two humbucker Gibson.......... Bass on the bottom........  :vader:
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Double Neck Guitar & Basses
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 08:38:32 AM »
I don't like the look of that website! Those instruments are clearly Carvins, albeit with the headstock logos obscured. Whatever you pay for won't be Carvin quality. I imagine the website's owners simply work with some Chinese guitar mill to come up with these.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 08:58:42 AM »
I'm leery of that particular guitar also, but it is one of the few with the bass on the bottom. I found a Steinberger like bass also, but the web site was down........... 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »
The longer neck on the bottom makes more sense to me.

A friend of mine bought one a few months back with the bass on the bottom. It's probably a one-off, though, made by Knut-Koupee in Minneapolis.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 07:26:33 AM »
Way back, before the price really went nuts...... ( I thought it was too high at the time, but now there's no doubt!). I was eyeballing a EBS-1250 for $4,000.0 It was refinished by Lays if I recall correctly. Having the bass on top was always a deterrent. There seems to be some cheap Rickenbacker copies with the bass on the bottom. This Steinberger copy looks like it might be interesting, but the website is down or out of business.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 07:33:25 AM »
You don't need that, you already have your 20/20s  :)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 08:39:33 AM »
I could screw a guitar to one of the 20/20's Les Paul style, with steel straps.................. If it was good enough for "The Log", it should be good enough for me..........

P.S....... Found it, cheap Chinese.........

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Musical-instruments-custom-shop-Black-Headless-guitar-Double-Neck-4-string-bass-6-string-Electric-Guita/32559331586.html?spm=2114.30010308.3.147.dSsbpq&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_10,searchweb201602_2_10017_405_507,searchweb201603_11&btsid=d20d791c-a5b1-451d-a942-2bd9cc173a3d
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 08:47:30 AM by Grog »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 05:12:12 PM »
It looks nice but I'd be very wary of buying direct like that.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 06:09:31 PM »
Looks like a first class operation...............

Packaging:
Our guitar are come with foam box, easy to carry and safety enough for guitar,      

About Customs:
    Tariff, do not worry, reason( we write word of" gift" on the wrapping box and we can provide the very low invoice value, the expenses of the such tariff is few or no )   

ShippingIt normlly takes us 1-7 days to get the items you pay ready for shipping after your payment is confirmed by aliexpress.com
   We generally use EMS for shipments because of lower costs and better service.
   It normally takes about 5-8 days for EMS to deliver the items. Then you can get the items after hearing knock on your door.
   We`re happy to combine shipping for items paid for with one payment. Shipping rates will be based on the combined weight of the items and your location.
   We are very professional and careful about packing to keep the items safe during the transportation.
   **feel free to me if you have any questions** our trade manager is
   Thank you and happy bidding
    Wish you have a happy shopping !Your satisfaction, Our pursuit!!!HOPE HAVE A GOOD LUCK EVERYDAY

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 12:00:35 PM »
I prefer bass on the bottom too. Part of that is because I'm not a great guitar player, and having it up higher makes it easier to play. Why most manufacturers do it the other way, I don't know. I had a white Steinberger bass/guitar for a while and it was decent. Made in Korea. I had this fantasy of learning a bunch of old Genesis songs, and using it in songwriting sessions, but none of that really materialized, and I eventually sold it. I had also thought about making a new body and putting the bass on the bottom, but I'm really not that into the Steinberger tuning system, so I scrapped that idea. I will say the headless design makes great sense for a double neck.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 05:02:51 AM »
I made one a while ago,
 I put the bass on top and guitar on the bottom, my reasoning being that when i play guitar I play it slung low, but I play bass fingerstyle so having the bass on top seemed like the way to go.

I'm making another one , not because of the positioning, but because the last one was too heavy and undbalanced to use for long periods. I am going with the guitar on top this time , mainly because I am a better bassist than guitarist so its easier for me to have the instrument i'm more familiar with in the uncomfortable position.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »

I've got some Hamer doublenecks. The bass is on the bottom if it is paired with a guitar neck.

If it has two bass necks....I have a couple with an 8-string on top of a 4-string. And a fretless 5 over a fretted 4.

Also have the only doubleneck Factor Phil Kubicki made, a prototype. A fretless over a fretted. One drop D 32-inch scale, one 34 inch non-D.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 11:46:16 PM »
The Kubicki I'd love to see please Jon... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 07:26:42 AM »
This is one of the more interesting doubleneck designs I've seen. Apparently called the "Missing Link". Not the band's best song though.

You'd think in this day that it would be easy to find a decent picture of that guitar, but I came up with nothing but that video (and people talking about it, but no photos).
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy