Author Topic: Pelham Blue (Bird) of Happiness  (Read 9162 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Pelham Blue (Bird) of Happiness
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 09:59:47 AM »
As for Poly vs. Nitro, I love poly. I can easily A-B my 'Birds and thru my rig and by everyone's vote including mine the poly finished purple '77 is easily the best sounding bass in my collection. FWIW tho, I don't think finish has much to do with the sound of these basses........     

Heresy!  :o ;D

Of course I agree with you.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2008, 10:01:39 AM »
Beautiful job and great pics, Scott.  :)

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2008, 10:44:21 PM »
Thank You All!

I'm not even gonna get started with the poly vs. nitro wars, I use nitro because I'm familiar with it and it's much more "reveresable" than poly, although certainly not as durable. I'm fairly certain any perceived difference in sustain from my other ((2) poly finished) Orvilles has much more to do with the two point bridge and the tailpiece than the paint job. This is further supported by the incredible amount of sustain the Ripper/G3 has, most certainly, from the string through body design. The six way switching and three pickups also give it a pretty broad pallet of tones, I recorded some samples, but I can't make them small enough to imbed in a post, anyone have any suggestions?

Anyway thanks for the kind words,

Scott
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 10:51:27 AM »
I'm not even gonna get started with the poly vs. nitro wars....I'm fairly certain any perceived difference in sustain from my other ((2) poly finished) Orvilles has much more to do with the two point bridge and the tailpiece than the paint job....

I agree, it's not a matter of one being better than the other, that's just personal preference. IMHO it's just not a tonal factor in a solidbody.

....I recorded some samples, but I can't make them small enough to imbed in a post, anyone have any suggestions?

Did you see Blazer's post up in The Bass Zone? His mp3 is hosted here: http://www.sendspace.com/