Author Topic: Doug Kauer...basses?  (Read 1264 times)

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
Doug Kauer...basses?
« on: June 16, 2016, 07:54:58 PM »
Doug's work is impeccable, and he's a helluva nice guy.

He's got quite a list of players using his builds in the guitar world.

And he's right, but not always.

;)

http://reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=59440

Quote from: dougk
Yep. I built a bass. Actually I built an almost completely hollow bass. Block under the bridge and two full height braces running from the bridge block parallel to the strings just outside the pickups to the neck block. (similar to how I build Acadian and Daylighter Supreme). TV Jones Thundertrons, Spanish Mahogany body, maple cap, graphite reinforced maple neck. 32.5" scale.

I actually built two. This one is the same specs as the green one except more semi hollow with a full center block tail to tip. Same material and pickup combo.

The Thundertrons are freaking incredible. Both basses are amazing with the green one being my slight favorite. They sound amazing, have that motown hollowness/thud when you want but seem to have the attack of the solid versions. Balanced perfectly too surprisingly with the green one being 6.5lbs!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Doug Kauer...basses?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 02:40:56 PM »
  Interesting, I  like em, thank goodness sensible pickup placement.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 03:20:03 PM »
I saw these when he posted the at the ReRanch. I particularly like the green one.

I'm still very sad that I was unable to get one of his early Reverse T'birds, he would have made a lefty and at a ridiculously reasonable price too! :( 

Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »
If I ever had enough cash just laying around, I'd have Doug build me the bass version of this:

http://www.kauerguitars.com/sold/argonaut-white-falcon