Author Topic: Mustang basses... any fans?  (Read 31320 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Mustang basses... any fans?
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »
Chris P, thanks for the likes on Instagram!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »
... just looks too small if you're above average size.
6' 1" and I'm still over 200lbs... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2017, 05:17:30 AM »
I always think it's strange that it's normal to see a guy of my height/weight with a guitar, but changing from a long scale bass to a short scale seems strange.

I saw a Stones concert on TV yesterday. I'd forgotten that Darryl plays some comp stripe Mustangs too.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 01, 2017, 06:49:26 AM »
It's like playing a headless... my Hohner Jack is a 34" scale but looks like I'm playing a guitar...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
Just curious. Any experiences with the Mustang PJ anyone?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2017, 04:02:35 PM »
I've only been to one store since it came out, they had the new Mustang and Duo Sonic guitars in stock but not the bass.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2017, 02:06:36 AM »
I saw them at the NAMM. They feel good, but too much noise to hear 'm. I like the colours and the mint green pickguard, I still dislike the smaller bridge and PJs but it's growing on me a bit....

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2017, 01:07:45 PM »
The local store I mentioned now shows two in inventory, in white and sonic blue. If they're still there next time I'm in the area, I'll plug one in.

EDIT: they're already out of stock.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:39:33 PM by Dave W »

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2017, 04:05:54 PM »
The P/J Mustang had absolutely no appeal to me at all. So when at the local GC picking up a TC tuner, I saw  one hanging on the wall (sonic blue w/mint green pickguard) amongst some of the new G&L, Rickenbacker and Music Man offerings, none of which had any level of enticement at this point of the game. So for some reason I picked the Mustang off the wall and plugged it into a GK210 combo. It was slightly heavy for its size (most Mustangs and Music Masters usually were and are, so no big surprise there) but not obnoxiously so. So twiddling between the P and J combinations was actually quite interesting as there were definitely the usual characteristics of the 2 but somehow this being a short scale something was a little more pronounced. Not sure if it was the pickups themselves but the tones were thick & big. This is a short scale solid body that surprisingly grew on me. I decided to get going. The thing stayed on my mind and well you know, had to snag it and it was still there a week later. I'm working on a project where my chosen instruments are a '74 Gibson Les Paul Signature, Hofner 500/1 and a Fantastic Carlo Robelli (Rickenbacker 4001 shape). However waiting impatiently in the corner is that little Mustang bastard.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2017, 07:17:43 PM »
Those little Mustang-bodied basses grow on you, real fast. I have a Bronco with a Gretsch 2202 pickup in it, and it's a sweetheart. More than once it has gone out to play, and the more expensive basses have stayed home.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2017, 12:09:56 AM »
I know what you mean. Somehow I always felt they were almost toy like and we're lesser versions of their two predecessors. They are fully loaded contenders and this version speaks for itself and made me think twice and it's alright.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »
The Mustang body size is fine for a short scale bass but the new P/J Mustangs look odd to me with of the size of the pickups on that body. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the smaller original Mustang pickup. OTOH the sound samples I've heard online do sound really nice. I'll have to try one out.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2017, 12:12:43 AM »
Purely from an aesthetic angle, eventually I'll get around to changing the black pickup casings to cream/ivory colored ones. Otherwise, with those famous last words "it's a keeper".

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »
I like Pil's Mods.
Chrome pup, chrome V8 just looks perfect.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
I finally was able to play a P/J Mustang yesterday. Fit and finish were very good, there was a small filled void in the neck near the headstock which shouldn't ever affect anything since the neck grain was straight. The P pickup was thick and deep, don't know which series it comes from. The J didn't impress me, but I've never liked J pickups in the bridge position anyway. The three way switch lets you turn it off, which is good. If I ever bought one, I'd pull it and leave the cavity empty just on general principle.  :P

The saddles were too high but there was planty of room to lower  the action. It does have the same Strat-width neck pocket as the originals and it's 1 1/2" wide at the nut. But instead of narrower spacing at the bridge like the originals,  it has a standard Fender bridge with 2 1/4" spacing. 1/1/2" to 2 1/4" is borderline for me with a long scale bass -- I prefer 1 5/8" -- but it felt even odder with a short scale neck. Too much of a flare in too short a distance. No doubt it won't be a problem for most players.