Author Topic: Mustang basses... any fans?  (Read 31316 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Mustang basses... any fans?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 06:19:05 AM »
There are different companies offering 4-pole Musicmaster pickups nowadays. I have the 4-pole in my Squier replaces by an original 6-pole (bought it that way0 and my black '78 Fender has a SD Lipstick. Sounds great. Less woody, more P-ish.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2016, 08:33:12 AM »
I have the 4-pole in my Squier replaces by an original 6-pole

A Squier Vista Musicmaster ? The 4 pole worked like a charm for my needs. I actually tried out the Vista in same time period as a MIJ Mustang. I found the Mustang a rather faceless instrument and sold it off fairly quickly.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2016, 09:28:44 AM »
There are different companies offering 4-pole Musicmaster pickups nowadays. I have the 4-pole in my Squier replaces by an original 6-pole (bought it that way0 and my black '78 Fender has a SD Lipstick. Sounds great. Less woody, more P-ish.

I can't see the logic in changing a bass with its own sound to be more like another bass. If you want a P-ish sound, why not just buy a P? Or at least a short scale version of a P. 

A Squier Vista Musicmaster ? The 4 pole worked like a charm for my needs. I actually tried out the Vista in same time period as a MIJ Mustang. I found the Mustang a rather faceless instrument and sold it off fairly quickly.

I played one of those Vistas in a store back in the mid-late 90s. Sounded pretty good. I'd still rather have an original Musicmaster, multiple piece body and all.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2016, 03:25:46 PM »
I don't see any reason a Strat pickup wouldn't sense a strong fundamental? Is there anything in a passive guitar/bass circuit that acts as a high-pass filter?

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 03:48:10 PM »
i bought the Squier Vista (powder blue with matching headstock) with a '70s Musicmaster pickup in it and I never chaned it. It sounds great and fat.

When I bought the '78 Musicmaster I thought it was too black. Can something be to black? Spinal Tap... Well, I changed the Jazz controls to witch hats and I installed a lipstick for the looks. At the moment I had a Fender Rascal at home and its middle pickup has the same position as the MM pickup. The Rascal sounded a bit brighter and so does the MM with lipstick. I don't have a P, but now I do have a warm and a bright MM.

Strange: A while ago my black MM turned blue. And now it's black again. Will post the story and some pics soon.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2016, 03:57:19 PM »
My Stratobaster works just fine for me.  32" scale, stock Squier Strat pups with .010 inch aluminum toppers to add pizzaz. Weight 7 lbs.

None of its five pup combos really make me think that something else is badly needed in the tone department. ;)

If I did it again I'd go with a 'threaded saddle' bridge.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »
I had an MIJ - white with tortoise pickguard - bought it in Japan while I was living there, around 2004 or so. Only recorded one thing that I can remember - found it to be punchy and rather P-ish:

http://hieronymous.us/music/next_to_last_fragment.mp3

Here is the entire piece, most recorded with a Tune 8-string - the Mustang only appears in the middle section referenced above:

https://soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven/next-to-last

Sold it when I moved back to the States, kind of regret it - I really liked it! Would love to have a vintage one but would settle for another MIJ, but not high on my list - in fact, there isn't a list right now!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 07:47:27 AM »
I can't see the logic in changing a bass with its own sound to be more like another bass. If you want a P-ish sound, why not just buy a P? Or at least a short scale version of a P. 

I played one of those Vistas in a store back in the mid-late 90s. Sounded pretty good. I'd still rather have an original Musicmaster, multiple piece body and all.

I feel the same way.  With only one or two exceptions, I have kept each bass the way it was built. I'd rather keep a bass for the sound it has, rather than trying to make it sound like some other bass.  There's more fun in that for me.  I can appreciate an old Kay KB-2 for what it is, just as I can appreciate a Casady.

The Bronco I mentioned earlier was a purposeful exception; I bought it as a test bed to experiment with pickups, and tried three or four before I installed the Gretsch 2202 pickup.  However, does that mean I've merely re-invented the 2202, because the pickup placement and scales are essentially the same?  Quite possibly.

2202 body:

Modified Bronco body:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 09:05:03 PM »
I don't see any reason a Strat pickup wouldn't sense a strong fundamental? Is there anything in a passive guitar/bass circuit that acts as a high-pass filter?

No reason at all. A guitar pickup circuit works the same way as a bass pickup circuit. Because of its size it won't have the output of most bass pickups, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 01:24:20 AM »
It guess it must match fairly closely to a '51 P pickup, but it terms of overall tone and output?

I tend to agree with the sentiment 'I can't see the logic in changing a bass with its own sound to be more like another bass'. Where I think the Mustang differs is that it is basically configured as a smaller P bass, albeit with slightly different pickups and body shape. A splitcoil pickup in the mid position is always going to deliver a P-type tone. I'm after a Mustang partly because it sounds like a P but is smaller, lighter and a bit easier on the hands. As I said before, I'm just shy of 6 foot, and I still wonder at times why basses have to be so big!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 05:06:31 AM »
and I still wonder at times why basses have to be so big!

Because you don't want to feel like your playing a g**t*r with four strings. All my bass guitars are shorties but the Musicmaster is too small, it just didn't feel right to me !

Anyway, if you're looking for the 51-P sound in a shortie, the Bach Tele sounds more like my beloved ( ex ) CS 51-P than the Squier Vista Musicmaster.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 10:03:49 AM »
Half the fun of playing bass is taming a big one! Not that I have anything against small bodied basses.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 11:50:46 AM »
It guess it must match fairly closely to a '51 P pickup, but it terms of overall tone and output?

I tend to agree with the sentiment 'I can't see the logic in changing a bass with its own sound to be more like another bass'. Where I think the Mustang differs is that it is basically configured as a smaller P bass, albeit with slightly different pickups and body shape. A splitcoil pickup in the mid position is always going to deliver a P-type tone. I'm after a Mustang partly because it sounds like a P but is smaller, lighter and a bit easier on the hands. As I said before, I'm just shy of 6 foot, and I still wonder at times why basses have to be so big!

This makes perfect sense to me. Moving to a bass that "...sounds like a P but is smaller, lighter and a bit easier on the hands" is a logical and attractive idea.  I went down that road a while back.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 12:04:17 PM »
I once owned a Yamaha 'BB' bass. After it arrived I read that 'BB' stood for 'Big Body'.  :rolleyes:

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »
Almost correct. Actually BB stands for Broad Bass.