Author Topic: Mustang basses... any fans?  (Read 31459 times)

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Mustang basses... any fans?
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2016, 08:22:13 AM »
The Rascal has quite a big body, and a wider neck so it feels completely different than a Mustang or Music Master. You would hardly believe it's a short scale.
That is because the total length of the bass is similar to a long-scale P or J. Just like the 30" scale Bass VI, the bridge is further up the body. So it's a short scale, but the nut is right where your left hand remembers is to be. That's why I like hollow-body short scales - they have the same length as a P/J/Ric etc.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »
The Rascal has quite a big body, and a wider neck so it feels completely different than a Mustang or Music Master. You would hardly believe it's a short scale.

That is because the total length of the bass is similar to a long-scale P or J. Just like the 30" scale Bass VI, the bridge is further up the body. So it's a short scale, but the nut is right where your left hand remembers is to be. That's why I like hollow-body short scales - they have the same length as a P/J/Ric etc.

Yes, it has a full size body so it hangs on you like a long scale, and despite the bridge being further up the body, your right hand still lands in a comfortable place.

It's 1 5/8" at the nut, but still only Strat width ( 2 3/16") at the neck pocket, like a Mustang or Musicmaster.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2016, 12:57:30 PM »
I played a Rascal today! Not sure what to make of it, to be honest. It honestly doesn't meet my original requirements as 1) it felt about as big as my P bass, 2) it felt about as heavy as my P bass 3) The neck felt only a smidge thinner at the nut and 4) It didn't balance that well on a strap so my left hand would be doing more work, if anything.

Now that I've taken a dump on the thing, maybe I should be a little bit more even-handed. The bass looks really nice, and I spotted it in among a rack of otherwise conventional Fenders. It was actually pretty comfortable to play sitting down, albeit with the balance bias towards the neck. The setup was okay, but the generic roundwounds were a bit mushy. Still, the lower tension is something I would explore, though probably with flats. The range of tones was very impressive, with some surprisingly modern sounds in there. I thought the neck pickup alone sounded, if anything, a little Rickenbacker-ish due to its location probably. The bridge and middle pickups together had a slight Danelectro twang as well.

The 5-way switch lacked a strident click and felt a little worn out. The push-pull is a nice discrete way of hiding additional functionality and maintaining a clean look.

The bridge was identical to my Dearmond Jet Star II's bridge (RIP to that bass). I could wiggle the E string saddle, which made me wonder if, combined with low tension strings, it could be pulled over with aggressive finger-style technique.

The neck had a nice glossy finish, though the raw rosewood on the fretboard top looked a bit pale and dry. The nut would probably also benefit from a bit of attention.

It felt nice, but it didn't feel like a £750 instrument. Back to the Mustang?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2016, 08:30:11 PM »
It's a Bass VI body, definitely full size, and it's exactly the same at the nut as a current MIA or MIM Standard P. You still have the short scale and the narrower string spacing of a Mustang, but if you need a smaller body and narrower nut width, then pass.

Mine never had a balance problem. The one you tried must have had an unusually light body.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2016, 01:59:42 AM »
The balance was tricky sitting down. On a strap it wasn't a diver, but it was gradually heading for the 3 o'clock position if I took my left hand off the neck.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2016, 02:35:13 AM »
Back when I had a VI (it was never a "Bass VI" officially, just a "VI") I used to think, what a great design, so comfortable, I wish they made a 4-string version. And then they did. Actually there was a Japanese maker in the 90's that made "IV" basses, can't remember the brand, it was a good copy of the Fender VI but with 4 strings.

My VI ('91 MIJ) had an A-width neck. 6 fat strings across a 1 1/2" nut.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2016, 04:35:24 AM »
I think you are thinking of the ESP 'Grassroots' (sub brand) Bass IV!

I've read that you can cobble something together similarly using Warmoth VI parts and asking for various holes to remain undrilled.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2016, 05:15:49 AM »
Yep. That's the one!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2016, 02:19:02 AM »
So I survived another 3 hour rehearsal last night with the P bass. I've been in bands where rehearsals are like a party where the songs sometimes rise above the chat and clink of beer bottles... this new band runs a tighter ship. Most of those 3 hours were spent playing music. The upshot is that I don't think the Rascal bass would solve my problems, just give me another big blue Fender bass with different tones. Emphatically back to the Mustang I go.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2016, 07:54:20 AM »
In the meantime, why not pick up a Bronco and see how it fits you? Fun bass, inexpensive, easy to re-sell and you can play pickup swap games if you wish.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2016, 08:38:47 AM »
I had a Bronco before. It was my first bass, and I really enjoyed it. I did some stupid kitchen table mods to it before I really knew what I was doing.

JazzBassTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »
The balance was tricky sitting down. On a strap it wasn't a diver, but it was gradually heading for the 3 o'clock position if I took my left hand off the neck.
Try a Neo
Tech strap. They are great, even Thunderbirds balance with those.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2016, 01:35:16 AM »
I've been thinking of getting a more sympathetic strap for a while, so that might be the way to go!

Some heavy hints were dropped at the last band practice, so it looks like I'm now hunting for a 2nd hand Epi Rivoli.  8)

JazzBassTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »
I've been thinking of getting a more sympathetic strap for a while, so that might be the way to go!

Some heavy hints were dropped at the last band practice, so it looks like I'm now hunting for a 2nd hand Epi Rivoli.  8)
Get the longer "guitar" strap. The one they call the bass strap (the same otherwise) is too short, at least for me. They are adjustable, but the "bass" strap just didn't have enough length. That was a few years ago though, they may have changed since then.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2016, 08:04:00 AM »
Will post 'm later, but I got pics of the new Mustang PJ. It will be available in vintage white, torino red and sonic blue.