Author Topic: Mustang basses... any fans?  (Read 31321 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Mustang basses... any fans?
« on: June 16, 2016, 12:14:03 PM »
I'm thinking of picking up a MIJ Mustang bass later in the year. They are being reissued, in limited numbers, to some UK retailers. Oddly they are cheaper than the last time they graced these shores!

Any fans? I played one a long time ago, but that was before I really knew what I wanted out of a bass. I had a grueling 3 hour rehearsal on Tuesday with my boat-anchor P bass. I stand just shy of 6ft and have a fairly broad frame, but I feel I might get on better with a Mustang. The band I'm in use 12 string electric guitars, so the darker thump of a Mustang should sit nicely under them, especially once decked out with Chromes.

Please feel free to talk me out of this idea.  :mrgreen:

JazzBassTbird

• View Profile
Re: Mustang basses... any fans?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 12:54:26 PM »
I can't say that I'm personally a fan, but Mustang basses are what they are, a decent short scale bass for people with small hands. They are not the best sounding short scale basses IMO, that honor goes to the Danelectro Longhorn, Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass second (the Danos are light as a feather, the LP basses are usually boat anchors, although I once had one that felt lighter than air!).

As far as weight's concerned, I've had Precisions and Jazzes that were lighter than some Mustang Basses. They aren't all that much smaller than a P or J to make a huge difference. The later '70s Mustangs with ash bodies can be quite heavy, in fact.

If what you're at home with is a Precision, a Mustang's a lot of compromise for a possible weight savings. You might try and find a lighter P-Bass.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 01:11:43 PM »
I have always liked Mustangs...just never found the right one for the right price.  I have always thought they sounded very Precision-ish.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 01:42:45 PM »
Which colours and what price? I would love to have one...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »
Nice to have two opposing views already.  :) I've been keeping an eye on the latest reissue Danelectro Shorthorn/DC59 basses. I saw a photograph of one in black that got my mind racing.

Chris P. Vintage white/tort guard. They are £520 or so on Thomann, Guitarguitar etc.

I've never encountered a heavy Mustang, but given that they are uncontoured I can believe it could happen.

It isn't just the weight of my P bass that bothers me, it is the ergonomics. I had, and sold, a Jazz bass before it. The body shape is great but, in my mind, about 10% too large. I guess this is the reason several boutique manufacturers offer J basses on a smaller footprint. My P bass just feels a little unwieldy after an hour of hammering through songs. I love the tone of it, so it won't be going anywhere, but I did find myself coming up with reasons to put it down for a minute after a few tunes.

To be completely honest, I've been jonesing for a Mustang for years, but it has always been the 3rd or 4th bass on the bucketlist. Just before I went to college I picked up a copy of Can's Tago Mago album. The bassist Holger Czukay uses (an admittedly much modified) Mustang on the album, and it was one of the albums that I first really started to pick out the bass parts on in depth, possibly with assistance. It seems that now I have a slightly more practical use for one.

Holger Czukay:

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 02:54:34 PM »
They sound better with racing stripes of course.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »
MIJ Fenders of any type are highly regarded. I like my Bronco (same body and scale) a lot. Nice weight, good balance. I think it's a great idea! I recommend Labella flats.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 05:57:49 AM »
My first bass was a black Bronco. I don't really remember much about it!

JazzBassTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 07:21:05 AM »
Re contours, some early Mustang Basses had slab bodies, but most vintage Mustang basses were contoured. The reissues are slabs, I think. The wood removed by contouring doesn't add up to a lot of weight anyway.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 07:42:18 AM »
Guitard in an old band had a Bronco geetar.  Loved that thing - made me reconsider single coils.  Not that that's helpful at all. 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2016, 07:47:18 AM »
I tried a reissue MIJ Mustang a few years back, it wasn't super light but it was definitely lighter than the few 70s originals I've tried.

Not a big fan of the tone. I'd rather have a vintage Musicmaster as long as it has the original 6-pole single coil pickup.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 02:35:56 PM »
Seemingly Nordstrand make a good Mustang replacement pickup?

The Bronco I had was fitted out with a Strat-style pickup in a closed cover. I replaced it with an off-brand guitar humbucker as I didn't like the single coil noise. I basically ruined that bass in stages:

The neck ended up here:

JazzBassTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »
I tried a reissue MIJ Mustang a few years back, it wasn't super light but it was definitely lighter than the few 70s originals I've tried.

Not a big fan of the tone. I'd rather have a vintage Musicmaster as long as it has the original 6-pole single coil pickup.
You're probably aware but that 6-pole pickup's just a Musicmaster guitar PU, which is ostensibly just a Strat PU with flush poles. Not a lot of bottom, but they're OK for bass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 04:33:20 PM »
I can play an upright, 34 inch or shorter scale. I like short scale! My Bronco has a TV Jones design Gretsch 2202 pickup and it's a nice sounding bass. A Mustang with flats should have a solid, classic Fender sound. I doubt you will have a problem with the pickup.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 08:22:19 PM »
You're probably aware but that 6-pole pickup's just a Musicmaster guitar PU, which is ostensibly just a Strat PU with flush poles. Not a lot of bottom, but they're OK for bass.

Yes, I know, and I think it has more fundamental than a Mustang pickup.