Author Topic: Help! Sudden buzz / dead notes in lower frets?? Gibson LPB-1  (Read 3247 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
I recorded with my favorite bass (1992-ish Gibson LPB-1) a couple weeks ago and it sounded great. Haven't played it since then. Today I took it out of the gig bag and started playing and - what's this?  I can barely play the lower frets, or open strings, especially on the D and A strings. No sustain, all buzz.  The note just goes PLONK, and dies very quickly. It sounds like the string is almost lying flat on some other frets.  It doesn't improve much until about the 7th fret.  Visually it's hard to see what's going on... the action does look very low up there, but I can't spot any curvature of the fingerboard by eye or anything.  Not sure what I should be looking for.

Has anybody experienced something like this?  What could cause it to begin all of a sudden in between last time I played and this time? What should I do to diagnose the problem further?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Sudden buzz / dead notes in lower frets?? Gibson LPB-1
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Sounds like there may not be enough relief. Have you checked the relief, and if there's none, have you tried slightly loosening the truss rod? With a traditional truss rod, sometimes even a slight change in humidity can cause the neck to move. I could be wrong, but that's what I'd check first.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 02:30:57 AM »
Wot Dave says.  :mrgreen:

I seem to remember a lot of Geddy Lee basses turn up for sale around this time of year, presumably because they were setup for the winter and are now buzzing like crazy.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 02:45:59 AM »
Most likely the truss rod and/or string height need adjustment, as already mentioned, but there's also the possibility that the strings are hitting the neck pickup.  Fret the strings up high on the neck and verify that they're not touching the pickup or anything else they shouldn't be.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 07:33:28 AM »
Not hitting the pickup.  Everything is fine from about the 7th fret up.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I'll see if a slight truss rod loosening will help.
It's weird though, I have never experienced this phenomenon in 35 years of playing bass, hence the panic.  This particular bass has given me no trouble in the roughly 10 years I've owned it.  I have touched the truss rod a time or two when I thought the action was creeping a bit higher, but not recently, and this is the first time I've ever experienced the action spontaneously getting lower.   Certainly the weather has changed in the past few weeks, so hopefully that's all it is.

Blame climate change  :rimshot:
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 04:51:22 PM »
A Gibson truss rod has the most effect from about the nut to the 7th fret, which is why this is my first guess. It doesn't act evenly from end to end like the two-piece rods.

I recently had the same thing happen with a bass I've had for 12 years with no prior issues. I already had it set up with practically no relief. In my case, loosening the rod about 1/8 turn did the trick. It happened right when we got our first warm weather, so I guess it really was climate change.  :)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 02:18:33 PM »
Global warming...? :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »
Thanks everybody!  It did look like there was basically no relief... It took more like 1/3 turn, but that seems to have done the trick!

I'll check back on it tonight or tomorrow and see if it's settled differently and needs further adjustment.  Last night I felt like it wanted still more relief for the lower frets, AND lower bridge action for the higher frets, but I thought I should give it some time to settle in before adjusting the truss rod any more than I did.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 11:24:51 AM »
It doesn't hurt to wait a couple of days before readjusting, although I've found that necks don't often continue to move after the rod is adjusted.

1/3 turn isn't that much, no need to be concerned.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 10:49:44 AM »
I did end up doing a bit more relief (about another 1/8 turn) AND lowering the bridge saddles slightly last night; then checked it again this morning and decided I'd overdone it.   So I tightened about 1/4 turn and tweaked the saddles until the action felt nice and low and everything sustains properly with just enough buzz to sound good ;)

Happy again!  Thanks everybody. Next time this happens I won't panic!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 10:15:41 PM »
Glad it worked for you.