Author Topic: New bass day: Starfire content  (Read 4529 times)

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: New bass day: Starfire content
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 05:22:27 AM »
Never too late to route it for EMGs. Lots of space for an active preamp as well.  :P

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 08:12:02 AM »
Never too late to route it for EMGs. Lots of space for an active preamp as well.  :P

Little bit...

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2016, 11:17:05 AM »
Don't you just hate that ! I think I might know someone who'll take that bass off your hands muy pronto. Just say the word .......  ;D
I have never sold any of my bass and this in my 36th! She is the oldest of my herd and the most fascinating
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 11:40:04 AM »
I have never sold any of my bass and this in my 36th! She is the oldest of my herd and the most fascinating

Only 36?  :o  ;D

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 06:36:23 AM »

Drat !  :mrgreen:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 12:48:05 PM »
Drat !  :mrgreen:
I had to Google to understand this word!! 😄
I had stringed with flats and used yesterday at rehearsals with my band. The bass is very well balanced, no neck diving, but I was not fully satisfied with the sultain. I like to play few long lasting notes and I guess that roundwound will be better. I just ordered Thomastick and Rotosound strings. I also suspect that the distance from poles is a key. Apparently the magnetic field is strong enough to kill sustain. I am Going to lower a little bit the poles to see if sustain improves.
The sound depends a lot on wbere you pluck the string. If you play on the pickup you have a lot more low frequencies than if you play a little closer to bridge. Even a little makes a lot of difference in sound.
As some of you in the past I tried to reproduce some bisonics, the badsonics mentioned in my signature that use ferrite beads instead of laminations. My peavey T-40 wnere I installed has a similar sound compared to the Starfire. By sure it had more highs due to the different location of the pickups but in my opinion the idea behind the construction of the pickup was correct.
And finally, no I will not give to anyone or share my new 1967 lover! Sorry guys
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:10:00 PM by tore00 »

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 05:54:39 PM »
You are so Selfish!

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 01:23:59 PM »
Now she is stringed with Thomastick rounds. I lowered the poles. Big improvement in sustain