Author Topic: New bass day: Starfire content  (Read 4538 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
New bass day: Starfire content
« on: May 17, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »
I just added this lady to my collection. Unbelievable!

Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: New bass day: Starfire content
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 12:11:28 PM »
Total jealousy over on my ende.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:19:43 PM »
Oh my, oh my.....

That looks EXACTLY like a great bass out to look.

:toast:

Please feel free to comment about its sound, balance, anything at all......
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 01:58:50 PM »
Just bought while in a job travel. She needs by sure new strings but she is fresh like a rose. As soon I back home will report. She is 1967! I suppose one of the very few in Italy

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
 :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 03:03:02 PM »
Damn. Maybe I need to go to Italy, if I could come back with a bass that nice!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 04:15:25 PM »
Congrats!

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 06:18:10 PM »
That's beautiful...I love that body shape.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 06:56:55 PM »
Nice score!

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 02:03:13 AM »
Damn. Maybe I need to go to Italy, if I could come back with a bass that nice!
I frankly do not think that Starfire are common in Italy. I was extremely lucky to spot a local announcement of a guy selling four basses and this was announced simply as a Guild bass. Only looking at a very small picture I realized that it was a Starfire.
The funny thing is that all come out from a sale announcement of a Bisonic Guild pickup on the main Italian bass forum. I was making arrangements or purchasing but it was gone in one day.
This started a latent gas for real Starfire and Bisonic, that I tried to cure in the past with a DeArmond Starfire and home building some Bisonics-like pickups that are currently in a Peavey T-40 and in a Tractor bass.
So quite frustrated I googled for Guild bass and after few pages of very priced Starfires in USA I spotted her.
Luckily she was in a town very close where I routinely go for my work

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 05:01:16 AM »
Happy new bass day!

I don't know Guild history so well, but I've seen Starfire basses with either a single bridge or neck pickup. Were these offered at the same time? The Chris Hillman model, for example, has a bridge pickup only.

The most interesting Guild bass I've personally played was a M-85 with a Bi Sonic in the neck position and an HB in the bridge. The body was deep, like an ES 175. I was all fired up for getting to play a bass with an original Bi Sonic, but I gravitated more towards the bridge pickup. There was a switch on the bass that either cut all the top end or all the low end from the Bi Sonic, so I don't think I really got to hear what it was capable of. The output seemed weak in either setting, so maybe the pickup had degaussed or something? The bridge humbucker was pretty meaty by contrast.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 07:52:03 AM »
Beautiful. I would love to have one, congrats!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 02:20:13 AM »
Beauty !
Experience is the ultimate teacher

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2016, 08:24:22 AM »
Happy new bass day!

I don't know Guild history so well, but I've seen Starfire basses with either a single bridge or neck pickup. Were these offered at the same time? The Chris Hillman model, for example, has a bridge pickup only.

The most interesting Guild bass I've personally played was a M-85 with a Bi Sonic in the neck position and an HB in the bridge. The body was deep, like an ES 175. I was all fired up for getting to play a bass with an original Bi Sonic, but I gravitated more towards the bridge pickup. There was a switch on the bass that either cut all the top end or all the low end from the Bi Sonic, so I don't think I really got to hear what it was capable of. The output seemed weak in either setting, so maybe the pickup had degaussed or something? The bridge humbucker was pretty meaty by contrast.
There were three models of Starfire basses in the sixties, two with a sigle pickup, one at the neck like mine, one with pickup toward bridge and one with two pickups. Both models my have or not the choke button. Mine has it. The sound that you get when you use is crap. I suppose that was an attempt to reduce feedback that the hollow body may introduce. Actually hollow bass are not indicated in small room with high instrument power for this reason.
I understand that the M-85 had a Bisonic and an added humbucker in parallel. In this case if the two pickups have a different resistance, as was probably your case, the one with higher resistance sounds weak. I just restringed my Starfire and played through my Ashdown Evo II and Ampeg 1x15 + 2x12. Wow!
Fat deep sound with no mud. Sound is much dependable on how and where I pick the string, it's the type of pickup that does not forgive mistakes

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 04:07:55 AM »
it's the type of pickup that does not forgive mistakes

Don't you just hate that ! I think I might know someone who'll take that bass off your hands muy pronto. Just say the word .......  ;D

Experience is the ultimate teacher