Author Topic: Andy Pratt and a killer bassline  (Read 5157 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Andy Pratt and a killer bassline
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:08:02 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0W_RQMxQzI

Abraham Laboriel on bass , most likely. A great song and a great album too. Very eclectic, don't be fooled by the cover.  :)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Andy Pratt and a killer bassline
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:19:10 AM »
ouch! i prefer abe jr. as macca's drummer.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:30:54 AM »
ouch! i prefer abe jr. as macca's drummer.

I would have been quite surprised if you had liked it....

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »
But I like it, Pekka! Unsurprisingly, as I have a soft spot for artsy pop. Just motivated me to get the CD (and something new from him too).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 02:54:48 PM »
uwe likes everything. but he freely admits to it so i admire his integrity.

bay city rollers, indeed.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
But I like it, Pekka! Unsurprisingly, as I have a soft spot for artsy pop. Just motivated me to get the CD (and something new from him too).

Where did you get the cd? I thought there was only a japanese reissue. I have it on vinyl and also "Resolution", the album Rolling Stone died over back in '76. Unfortunately it isn't nearly as good but what did Rolling Stone ever knew?

I found this album via Jim O'Rourke whose latest album "Simple Songs" is recommended too. Great artsy pop too.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 04:55:32 AM by Pekka »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 11:18:06 AM »
Amazon still had one CD at a king's ransom.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:35:34 PM »
OK. This place is promising a new remaster but we'll see:
http://www.itsaboutmusic.com/andypratt.html

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 01:26:45 AM »
I got the "It's About Music" CD release of the "Avenging Annie"-album early 2014 on evilBay for $ 14.95 ...... but it looks like it's OOP again.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 03:32:31 AM »
I got the "It's About Music" CD release of the "Avenging Annie"-album early 2014 on evilBay for $ 14.95 ...... but it looks like it's OOP again.

Yes, but it's apparently being remastered.

Has anyone heard his first solo "Records Are Like Life"? It is supposedly as eccentric as his second.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 09:57:48 AM »
Records Are Like Life has got Rich Schlosser on drums and Andy on (almost) all other instruments and vocals . As a result the album sounds much more intimate than its successor.

If you like his songs you'll love it. It's got the same multi-tracker charm as Emmitt Rhodes' 1st Dunhill album and Curt Boettcher's There's An Innocent face.

I didn't pay much mind to the remaster notice because the "story" with the album on their site is an edited version of the liner notes on my CD's booklet. But the catalogue number is different from the CD I've got ......... whereas the catalogue number for Records Are Like Life still is the same .........  so I guess they've got a remaster coming.  ;)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 02:47:38 PM »
Thanks! I guess I'll order the cd. I've been looking for the LP but the prices are a bit high.

What are your thoughts on "Resolution"? It was a big disappointment for me after the "Andy Pratt" album and all the praise I read about it. The title track is good and I also like "Karen's Song" (sounds like Jellyfish) but overall it is ruined by ultrasmooth production and arrangements.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 01:43:52 AM »
The "Avenging Annie" album was a cult hit in Holland but I have to admit I never got into Pratt in the 70s.

It wasn't until I got the Records CD for my b*day from a friend some 5 years back that I started to get interested. At that time the Resolutions album was OOP but I did get New Resolutions and The Age Of Goodbye ( Fun In The First World & Not Just For Dancing mixed up in a new tracklisting ) CDs. Both are likeable but not really great. I feel his arty-farty slant on music get him into perfecting the product and drown out the feelings which are at the base of his songs.

I really love Jellyfish by the way. Both Bellybutton and Spilt Milk never seem to leave my "ready to play" pile in between the turntable and the CD-player  8) 

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 05:21:47 AM »
Records Are Like Life has got Rich Schlosser on drums and Andy on (almost) all other instruments and vocals . As a result the album sounds much more intimate than its successor.

Got the first album now and it is good and even more eccentric than the Columbia album. Reminds me of Shawn Phillips' stuff from the same era and also early Wigwam.  "Low Tide Island" could be some 90's lo-fi stuff like Elliot Smith.

And I also sorted out who plays bass on "Avenging Annie". It's not Abe Laboriel but Andy himself! My Holland print vinyl doesn't have the lyric/credit innersleeve but I spotted an US press on eBay which had and there it read. :)

japastor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
And I also sorted out who plays bass on "Avenging Annie". It's not Abe Laboriel but Andy himself!

This is confirmed by none other than Richard Shlosser, the drummer on that track, in a comment on a YouTube page for the song.