Author Topic: Whip It Good  (Read 1774 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Whip It Good
« on: May 08, 2016, 08:44:41 PM »

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Whip It Good
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 04:28:42 AM »
I'm not sold on the Energy Dome headstocks, and I'm never going to be a big enough Devo fan to justify buying either model, but it is cool to see the band and their instruments recognised in this way. Eastwood seem to be coming up with interesting stuff.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 05:24:30 AM »
Great business model, crowd source the capital to build a limited run.  Maybe increase the run if there's enough interest.  The guys in the 'custom shop' get paid whether they build or not, might as well keep them busy.  Also good advertising.

With a $500 street price you might be able to get Eastwood to build you 10 of almost anything for $5000!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 12:27:22 PM »
You can see from their completed projects page that most of their proposals have had enough orders to go into production. And Eastwood has been around long enough that people will trust them to return their deposit if it's cancelled.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 05:16:33 PM »
Does Eastwood actually have a build shop? I thought they were all Asian imports.  I guess its a way to come up with a minimum quantity to make the order worthwhile if that's the case.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 09:24:25 AM »
We're thru with being cool!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 11:12:42 AM »
Does Eastwood actually have a build shop? I thought they were all Asian imports.  I guess its a way to come up with a minimum quantity to make the order worthwhile if that's the case.

AFAIK they're still all Indonesian imports. Mike Robinson, the owner, must have a source willing to do small lots. Probably whatever factory he normally contracts with, since most Eastwood models have always been ncihe market. Seems to have worked very well for him.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 05:15:45 PM »
Yeah, he has done some interesting things with limited runs, probably to decide whether to add them to the lineup or not.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 01:09:36 AM »
I think Eastwood use multiple sources. Their shortscale 'Hi Flyer' bass is made in China, iirc, whilst the 32'' 'Side Jack' model is about double the price and made in Indonesia or Korea. Both are Mosrite-style designs.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 07:32:32 PM »
I think they use the Mirr factory in Korea for all of the new builds, but I could be mistaken.

Mirr builds Reverend, IIRC.