Author Topic: Think it was somebody who collects for fins?  (Read 3688 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Think it was somebody who collects for fins?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
Man, that vinyl top reminds us of some of the worst design aspects of the 70's.

But what makes it valuable is the Hemi; must be numbers-matching original.

At least it won't be hard to spot.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 02:10:10 PM »
Man, that vinyl top reminds us of some of the worst design aspects of the 70's.

But what makes it valuable is the Hemi; must be numbers-matching original.

At least it won't be hard to spot.

It's not just the Hemi, although that is undoubtedly a big part. It's an E-Body (Cuda/Challenger), and it's a 1-of-1 car with the Mod Top. I'm pretty sure that's a restoration, too. The only thing that would be more valuable would be a '71 ragtop with the 4-speed. One of the two built sold awhile back for $3.5 million.

I would be very surprised if that car turned up in the US. Too easy to spot here. I'd wager that it is already in a container on a ship, headed for somebody with lots and lots of money.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 03:20:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have a pair of underwear with that same pattern.

You have to wonder if it was some kind of inside job.  Almost reads like someone knew exactly when the owner would be away to hit the house.  Truly a shame, and I think your right about it heading overseas into a colection never to be seen again.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 03:51:47 PM »
my guess it goes to japan. you know how crazy they are about everything american.

but it does sound fishy. failed italien night club owner in nyc gets car nicked. sounds like it could be an insurance scam, or maybe he owes the mob a bunch of money. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 04:34:43 PM »
my guess it goes to japan. you know how crazy they are about everything american.

but it does sound fishy. failed italien night club owner in nyc gets car nicked. sounds like it could be an insurance scam, or maybe he owes the mob a bunch of money. :o

Do you know that he failed? Maybe he just retired. But it could be fishy, depending on where that valuation came from. I can appreciate that it's rare, the question is whether it's anywhere near $1.4 million rare.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 06:50:55 PM »
the article said'defunct' nightclub. i assume that means it went out business. and yes, those cars are going for over a million and have been for awhile.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 11:34:25 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have a pair of underwear with that same pattern. You have to wonder if it was some kind of inside job...

Wot, your underwear...? :mrgreen:

Somebodies been watching the Fast/Furious/Gone in 60 franchise/movies... does sound like a "stolen-to-order" imho...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 03:43:28 AM »
Sadly, I've never seen any of those movies. I really do need to get out more.   ;D

The last round of high-end stolen cars I heard about actually went to Saudi Arabia.   I guess for the thieves anyplace with a lot of money and limited risk in getting caught, you've never sell it in the US I guess.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 07:02:38 AM »
The last round of high-end stolen cars I heard about actually went to Saudi Arabia.   I guess for the thieves anyplace with a lot of money and limited risk in getting caught, you've never sell it in the US I guess.

Bingo. Lots of money, lots of space, and mansions where you can hide stuff like this.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 07:45:02 AM »
here you go, dave. by comparison the other car was a bargain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5tQm8HBB2Y

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 07:46:13 AM »

I think Japan is too crowded for this kind of thing. Old Les Pauls or P-Basses, yeah, but probably not a muscle car collection. Besides, this is not what you'd call the "classic" HemiCuda. It's an oddball, and the Japanese tend to go for the "signature" look.
The car was covered in a Hot Rod Magazine story awhile back:
http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/1405-1970-plymouth-barracuda-hemi-petal-powered/

BTW, Steven Juliano is kind of a cult figure. I've heard both good and bad about him - even the nightclub story is not without its oddities. He is a pancreatic caner survivor, and I have seen him make an offer in a Mopar forum to fly another stricken member to NY for a consultation with the team that helped him. He is also the owner of an amazing collection of cars and memorabilia (warehoused on the west coast), including some super-rare Mopars and one-of-a-kind concept cars. I doubt he would have trouble finding a buyer if he really needed money.
http://stevenjuliano.com/archive/home.htm
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=121358&page=all

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 12:08:11 PM »
the article said'defunct' nightclub. i assume that means it went out business. and yes, those cars are going for over a million and have been for awhile.

here you go, dave. by comparison the other car was a bargain.

That's just crazy (IMHO).

I'll bet it doesn't even have wi-fi connectivity, side air bags, backup sensors or even a USB port.   :o

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 12:12:58 PM »
That's just crazy (IMHO).

I'll bet it doesn't even have wi-fi connectivity, side air bags, backup sensors or even a USB port.   :o

...or black hardware.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 01:14:12 PM »
Looks like Hagerty is hoping it's recovered soon or I guess they'll be paying out on the claim!  Maybe the 50K will entice someone in the know who doesn't stand to make a mint off it's sale down the road.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/05/04/50000-reward-offered-for-stolen-rare-plymouth-hemi-cuda/

I wonder how much MY premium is going to go out up if they have to pay out $1.4M  :sad: