Author Topic: The TB II on ebay  (Read 6116 times)

mc2NY

• View Profile
Re: The TB II on ebay
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
Oh I completely missed the story on that one.
When did that TB VIII pop up?

They made them in late 1990- early '91. I got the black stamped prototype around 2005 or so. I sold it to Uwe in a moment of weakness and having to pay a huge property tax bill a couple years ago.

I have seen four of the other ones...two of the white and two of the red, not countinng the one on the Gbson calendar. The production ones all seem to have gld hardware and PUPs.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 12:00:10 PM »
I stand corrected on the inlays...and I had to know someone would post the photos of the Korina bird. Every time I see that my heart races, I get a cold sweat and pass out.

It's the one bass I truly lust after. Everything else is a passing fancy.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 09:49:50 AM »
"I sold it to Uwe in a moment of weakness and having to pay a huge property tax bill a couple years ago ...".

Hey, I'm the Lucy of this forum, equipped with a good, selfless heart, yet everyone prefers to misunderstand my intentions!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 09:58:36 AM »
:mrgreen:

After you regain consciousness, keep reminding yourself that Gibson originally bought korina as a cheaper substitute for mahogany.

And that the Korina didn't take well to the tobacco sunburst fin so that my good countryman Francis B. chose to leave the Korinabird behind at Gibson where it lay rotting in the corner for years until a young luthier called Phil Jones thought he'd "do something with it", scraped off the fin and wound himself some pups on 60ies specs. I don't know whether the block inlays were his idea (he digs Jazz Basses) or Francis' (for better fret board orientation on stage) though.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 10:39:16 AM »
"I sold it to Uwe in a moment of weakness and having to pay a huge property tax bill a couple years ago ...".

Hey, I'm the Lucy of this forum, equipped with a good, selfless heart, yet everyone prefers to misunderstand my intentions!

Forgive us, it's your heritage...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 12:19:46 PM »

Ohhh!

Hit me with your rhythm stick!  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »
:mrgreen:

After you regain consciousness, keep reminding yourself that Gibson originally bought korina as a cheaper substitute for mahogany.

So the idea was to offer a Cheap Blonde alternative?  I've never turned down a blonde.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 03:52:19 AM »
Korina - for all its nice sound qualities - has a look that can only be described as non-descript. It was a cheapish furniture wood in the  50ies. My luthier built me a bass out of wood from an old bed. And for some reason, that wood doesn't react well with (at least some) fins, the dark blue original fin turned into a hideous mix of sepia and purple/lilac over the years.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:13:49 PM by uwe »

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 03:27:56 PM »
Well it looks like the TB II actually had a winning bidder at $2025 the second time but it must have fallen through because it's been relisted yet again with a 2K buy it now.   I'm tempted but think I'll save up to hire a team of retired Navy seals to invade Germany and "liberate" the Korina Bird.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »
Well it looks like the TB II actually had a winning bidder at $2025 the second time but it must have fallen through because it's been relisted yet again with a 2K buy it now.   I'm tempted but think I'll save up to hire a team of retired Navy seals to invade Germany and "liberate" the Korina Bird.

Once? It could possibly have fallen through. Twice, no way. When an auction has a winner twice and gets relisted both times, you can bet that the "winner" was the shill-bidding seller or an accomplice.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 03:29:29 AM »
To be fair I should clarify that the first time he listed it the auction ended with no winner, only the second time it had a winner at $2025 (near the last second of the auction).  It wouldn't surprise me at all if he didn't have a shill bidder jumping on it to test the limits of the opening bid only to be disappointed to find out the first bidder had only put in 2K.  Could be he's now trying to entice that individual back by offer a BIN at his opening bid amount. 

Either way the photo's are terrible (though not the worst I've seen).  I never will understand high dollar auctions with miserable cell phone pics in dim lighting...unless you're hiding something.

Butcherboy

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 04:12:22 PM »
Good to be fair, I was the winning bidder, there were unsolved shipping address issues, the tranasaction was cancelled by the seller.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 09:12:11 PM »
Thanks, good to know it was legit.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2016, 01:11:16 PM »
So the idea was to offer a Cheap Blonde alternative?

Cheaper Blonde alternative is my nickname for my girlfriend.

Nevermind....  :o