Author Topic: Randall R412S  (Read 4792 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
Randall R412S
« on: April 20, 2016, 11:49:24 PM »
Hi! Anyone here knows if the Randall R412S is a cabinet for bass?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Randall R412S
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 12:35:02 PM »
Most threads spec guitar...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 12:50:19 PM »
All right... or wrong.... Wonder if I dare to use it in company with my Dual Showman silver face, and the Gibson Ripper?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
You can use it for bass just like any other geetar 4x12 (see Geezer Butler, Lemmy etc back in the day, if not more recently).  It won't be flat response down to low E, but it will get down that low, depending on the drivers.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 01:34:56 PM »
Thanks! I'm looking forward to testing the cabinet out next week. But for tomorrows gig it'll be a borrowed Ampeg, transistor with 4x10. Not what I want, and not what I like, but it'll have to do.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 02:42:15 PM »
When I was playing metal back then I primarily used a pair of Sound City 4x12 column cabs that were spec'd for PA (voice) and I ran them to death with my present Hiwatt and before that a Sound City 120... made a lovely sound... later I was running a WEM 2x15 with my present Marshall 4x12 (with oddly spec'd Celestions)...
Not your standard operation but I was happy with it... :mrgreen:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »
Dude, you've had some cool rigs!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 03:16:52 PM »
70's, Jake... the stuff was commonplace... ;)

btw, only bit left of the Sound City's is a name plate that I plan to stick to the Marshall, just to cause confusion...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 06:17:59 PM »
In Britain, sure, but WEM stuff never made it over the pond in any sort of mass-marketed way.  Sound City is only slightly more common to see.

I was gonna buy a Sound City years ago and I regret not doing it; they're almost as much as actual Hiwatts now.  I never actually seen one for sale here (but they are plentiful enough on US ebay; think I've seen a few in use around the scene).  Hiwatts come around but sell quick and cher unless the seller refuses to split the head from the cab in which case it sits around longer. Nobody seems to dig the Hiwatt 4x12s around here (the other configs are another matter), personally I was never a fan of the Fanes they were loaded with.  Possibly they don't want to pay a Hiwatt price for a 4x12 - other brands are similar enough and significantly cheaper/ubiquitous.  So Hiwatts exist but are still not 'common.' 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 06:15:34 AM by Granny Gremlin »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »
As for the heads, Dave Reeves was involved in Sound City (as an employee and designer) and took his ideas elsewhere... but the reliability of the Sound City's compared to Hiwatt's in that early period... no comparison really...
BTW, the tranny in the Sound City had a meltdown and the beast died in a shower of sparks...
My Hiwatt presently does need work but has been relatively trouble free since purchase in '77 or '78... manufactured in 1970...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
So now I've tried the Randall 412 out. Kinda like it, but I miss the earthshake and airmoving of my old 2x15. I guess the perfect configuration for my taste must be a combination of the two of them, cause I'm not satisfied with the Ampeg combination of 1x15 with 4x10. Gave that rig to my son, don't want it myself. I'm a spoiled old boy!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 03:06:17 PM »
My 4x12 sat rather nicely on top of my 2x15... :vader:

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 10:02:58 AM »
Yep.  If you wanna sound huge, you need a huge rig.  I can't be botherred (to transport such rigs to gigs - tried it twice.... also don't have the room for such awesome insanity in the jam space, though I was tempted when I saw a matching 4x12 Riviera [sic; not Rivera but a similar ly named off-brand] to the 1x15 + head my buddy owns for only $80 at a local store; might have to go back for that).

BTW - anybody know anything about those Hiwatts on the bottom right there - seems like a 4x10 reflex horn - similar to the Musicman 2x12 or 2x15 RH cabs.  Seen (pics of) em before but always  witth he grilles on so not sure.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 04:59:38 PM »
So now I've tried the Randall 412 out. Kinda like it, but I miss the earthshake and airmoving of my old 2x15. I guess the perfect configuration for my taste must be a combination of the two of them, cause I'm not satisfied with the Ampeg combination of 1x15 with 4x10. Gave that rig to my son, don't want it myself. I'm a spoiled old boy!

There is a Randall 2X12/1X15 cab that keeps turning up on the local Craigslist. I believe it's what Dimebag Darryl used? It always tempts me when I see it listed but I cannot justify it in any way.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 11:37:09 PM »
Ported 4x12, iirc, Jake...