Author Topic: Early Explorer  (Read 22757 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Early Explorer
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »
I guess Entwistle brought the shape back to life for bassists, then the metal scene hijacked it.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 10:17:47 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 10:14:11 AM »
I saw The Edgar Winter Group in '73 and Derringer had a custom Explorer shaped guitar with Dimarzio pups, binding and a figured top. I also remember reading about them in Guitar player about the same time.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 12:02:20 PM »
The dimensions of the body of explorer basses is the same like the guitard version?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 01:48:54 PM »
More or less. Gibson was never much about increasing body size for their basses: Flying V is guitar size, EB 2 is ES size, EB-0/3 is SG size (until the seventies when they beefed the basses up), Les Paul is Les Paul guitar size etc. Maybe the Rippers were larger than the similar guitars I forgot the name of. And likewise the Victory basses than the Victory guitars. (They must have been at least lighter, we know all guitarists are sissies!)  And I'm not sure whether a Firebird is the same size as a TBird body? Probably. They didn't fiddle about with their classic shapes.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 01:51:46 PM »
Gibson was never much about increasing body size for their basses:

Except once a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=1017.0

Blazer

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 07:58:10 PM »
And don't forget that Hamer and dean also offered Explorer shaped basses.

The most unusual of those was a custom fretless 8-string Hmaer as comissioned and used by Sting.

I found plenty of live photos with him playing that one but so far haven't found any movies on youtube where he's indeed using it. only in the musicvideo of "De-doo-doo-doo, de-da-da-da"

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 12:33:13 AM »
EB-0/3 is SG size (until the seventies when they beefed the basses up).

Uwe

I never understood that. My '76 EB3 is exactly the same size as the SG RI and EB), only it has a bigger headstock, and of course the unbevelled edges. Was there a philosophy about that? More mud? ;)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 05:58:37 AM »
Stability. They made them thicker than the sixties models.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 06:12:26 AM »
The 80's big hair bands ruined the Explorer.

At least Entwistle keeps it still cool with the Orange Exporter Bird & Alembic Spyder basses. The Edge took the guitar version back from the big haired metal bands as well.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 08:30:52 AM »
The 80's big hair bands ruined the Explorer.

At least Entwistle keeps it still cool with the Orange Exporter Bird & Alembic Spyder basses. The Edge took the guitar version back from the big haired metal bands as well.

Actually, the Gibson version was not so popular with the hair metal bands, due to the lack of a Floyd Rose and wacky paint schemes (although Gibson did do some like that). The shape was copied by all the poser guitar manufacturers and produced ad nauseam.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 09:43:49 AM »
I made one out of an 80s Korina reissue and a wrecked 58 EB2, that I think I sent a pic to Uwe when I scanned that GP article.  The truth is the Explorer body - in addition to being wacky wild for all them hair and smiley metal bands - is really about the best balanced body design ever.  In the 50s version the combo of balance and comfort mixed with the original single coil mudbucker, Limba/Korina wood, old hard mahogany neck and cool banjo pegs ala Sting Ray makes for the ultimate 50s Gibson bass in both looks, playability, tone, lack of dead spots and vibe.  Even the old stud tunelessomatic bridge is wonderful on it.  I would guess with original Explorers pulling in a quarter of a million dollars in Sotheby's auctions, one of the originals would fetch maybe even $4,000 now!
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
How could I have forgotten you, Jim? Mea culpa and thanks again.

I checked your old email to me, you announced to send me a pic of your old Exi, but ... how shall I put this ... errrm, then didn't! But I got this:

And anybody wishing to sell one of those original three Explorer basses for 4.000 bucks, please call me. I'll even pay you that amount in Euros!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 02:23:28 PM »
Well, in the same period - on some long-forgotten version of the Dudepit - I ended up putting a pic up of the one I made.  I thought I sent it to you.  Lord knows if I have it on the the machine here, probably along with Ry Cooder's EB6 somewhere.  More later on that.  I am juggling too much as always - working on finishing up my EB3 project and working over an old Dual 1219 turntable.  Too many loves.  The EB3 is a funny story.  Better told when finished. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 04:29:45 PM »
And don't forget that Hamer and dean also offered Explorer shaped basses.

The most unusual of those was a custom fretless 8-string Hmaer as comissioned and used by Sting.

I found plenty of live photos with him playing that one but so far haven't found any movies on youtube where he's indeed using it. only in the musicvideo of "De-doo-doo-doo, de-da-da-da"

For some reason (snow & explorer shape maybe), that video reminded me of this:

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 03:14:38 AM »
And don't you guys love the Warwick Stryker? Especially the newer versions with Buzzard headstocks?