Author Topic: new amp quest  (Read 7080 times)

amptech

• View Profile
Re: new amp quest
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 12:56:45 AM »

Also, am I right about the driver tube thing - ss driver versions have absolutely no 12AX_ tubes in them at all?

Right, if a HD130 has got one small tube, that's the driver - no preamp tubes ever in those amps.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2016, 06:00:19 AM »
Thanks Amptech. 

PBG; darker sounds good to me; bright not so much.  Maybe it was the 'constipation' in the ss ones that was bothering me.  Anyway, I'll see if I can give that local V4B a test drive if only to rule it out (either power or tone). As well as one of those Traynor YGL-3As.

... but first I gotta get in our order for a short run of monophonic lathe-cut 1-sided 10" picture discs so they're done in time for a festival we're playing.  The Garnet should be fine for that; played that venue before.  How's that for antiquated/weird format? Local guy does em (he can do 2 sided too; just costs more and our recording fits already); seen an example he did for another band and it was nice work and sounded good... so is this a move up or down from cassettes ;P
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2016, 06:41:01 AM »
A small label (local) released stuff on cassettes and minidiscs, so I sent them a demo on microcassette!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2016, 07:12:46 AM »
there was a period in the late 90's where some people over here were releasing new recordings on 8 track cartridges. :P had there own fanzine. interesting to observe that tiny scene but doomed from the get go. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »
I own an early Traynor YBA-1A, and I have measured the output to be very close to the 90W rating.  I think it was around 85W RMS, into a 16-Ohm resistive load with a 400Hz sine wave input.  Incredible little amp, although I'm sad to say, I don't believe I've ever played bass thru it.  Anyway, there's no reverb so it doesn't meet the requirements anyway.

I'd have to second the recommendations for the MusicMan & the V4.  Those are the obvious choices.  There were also the Dual Showman Reverb and the Marshall Artiste, but I suppose those have gotten to be fairly expensive.

I use a Marshall Major myself but again, no reverb.  You could always pick up a reverb pedal.  There are some very good sounding units out there these days.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »

How about this guy?  They any good?

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/5528820969.html

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 02:58:24 PM »
I own an early Traynor YBA-1A, and I have measured the output to be very close to the 90W rating.  I think it was around 85W RMS, into a 16-Ohm resistive load with a 400Hz sine wave input.  Incredible little amp, although I'm sad to say, I don't believe I've ever played bass thru it.  Anyway, there's no reverb so it doesn't meet the requirements anyway.

I'd have to second the recommendations for the MusicMan & the V4.  Those are the obvious choices.  There were also the Dual Showman Reverb and the Marshall Artiste, but I suppose those have gotten to be fairly expensive.

I use a Marshall Major myself but again, no reverb.  You could always pick up a reverb pedal.  There are some very good sounding units out there these days.

That's interesting, thanks!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 01:46:12 PM »
I got one!  A dude put up a Sunn 1200s for what was comparatively a reasonable price (US$1200) - talked to him a a bit and offered him 1050 and he took it.  Between the shipping, US-CA conversion and the import tax I expect this will sting a bit.

Good thing I already had stuff listed on ebay.  As soon as I get the replacement bulbs for the meters arrive I've got another thing to put up that should help.  Now if only that 8x10 I put in a local shop would move.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 06:02:53 PM »
Congrats! Always good to hear of a great tube amp finding a home. Now you can have some fun rattling the windows.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2016, 05:14:11 AM »
The jam space ain't got no windows for precisely that reason.... as well as security.   8)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 06:21:51 AM »
I saw a 1200S on reverb - the first sentence in the description was: "1200 watts RMS. Kills the weak."

'Nuff said.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 05:14:01 AM »
LOL sellers can be hilarious.  Can't blame the tech-ignorant completely on this one tho.  They already had a 50-60 watt model 120, so when this came out at 120 Watts, they had to add a zero to the model name to differentiate.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 10:19:14 AM »
And we have success. See the show yer rig thread

/thread

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 05:35:15 PM »
I saw a 1200S on reverb - the first sentence in the description was: "1200 watts RMS. Kills the weak."

'Nuff said.

Actually they did make a 1200 watt 1200S about the turn of the century. Tube preamp and solid state power amp with 4 300 watt at 8 ohm outputs.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 05:45:23 PM by the mojo hobo »