Author Topic: Oops... impulse purchase... silly price...  (Read 6931 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Oops... impulse purchase... silly price...
« on: April 02, 2016, 12:58:53 PM »
Bought a Squier Tele for £60, which is circa 1/3 UK retail, from a charity shop... needs a clean, a new set of strings, and a top for the pup selector... found one minor dent... that's it... perfectly set-up... made no sense to see this at this price nor where it was... had the same sort of luck with my black Jazz, which I picked up for £68 five or six years back...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
Re: Oops... impulse purchase... silly price...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 02:09:05 PM »
Nice ! crank it up loud through your hiwatt!!
Louder bass!.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »
Yeah man.  Those are definately worth that much and decent guitars.  About a decade ago I got one in a Krakow pawn shop for the equivalent of CA$40; made my vacation.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 04:17:54 PM »
I thought all purchases were impulse purchases! Enjoy
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 08:05:12 PM »
Now you'll need to join TDPRI and have other Squier players try to convince you that you need £600 of upgrades.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 03:17:21 AM »
Now you'll need to join TDPRI and have other Squier players try to convince you that you need £600 of upgrades.

True. And then they'll convince you to throw away that junk neck and replace it with a true fender. And the next month they'll say "you MUST change the body also if you want TRUE sound".
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 07:09:36 AM »
my son has one of those. its a really good guitar for very little money.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 03:21:36 PM »
Love it...

Stuff the upgrades...  sits quite nicely beside my scabby old SG, which still needs work... so what's new...? :mrgreen:

Tony... the Hiwatt's still sick... a project once we've concluded the re-settling, which is imminent...

Kostas... where the Heck have you been hiding...?  :mrgreen:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 02:21:26 AM »
True. And then they'll convince you to throw away that junk neck and replace it with a true fender. And the next month they'll say "you MUST change the body also if you want TRUE sound".

In TDPRI we trust! For once I'm glad that a forum enforces its 'no politics' rule, as I imagine it would be like a Klan rally over there...

I lost a lot of respect for that forum after they had a thread discussing dowsing for water. A few posters linked to research papers that demonstrated that dowsing doesn't work any better than pure chance, when tested rigorously in a controlled environment. This new fangled science wasn't good enough for the hicks over there, because their uncle/cousin/pastor had found a spring in their back yard using two sticks or two lengths of copper wire. That, to me, explained a lot of the hardware and capacitor 'upgrade' threads. These guys actually value science and demonstrable principles less than some fuzzy empirical feel-good evidence. I also wager that those guys are deaf, from running dimed ice-pick Fender amps for years, anyway. Sometimes you see some guy's rig and it is an '80s red knob Fender amp with some '80s rack effects unit, and these guys are talking about how to get Roy Buchanan tone.  :bored:

Bunch of hillbillies.  :mrgreen:

My MIM Tele didn't need a thing replaced on it, and I play it most days.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 11:18:05 AM »
I doubt it would be anything like a Klan rally, I've seen the whole political spectrum posted there and quickly shut down. Paul is strict about his no politics rule, keep doing it and you're gone.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 01:59:53 PM »
I'd settle for Wilko's tone... :mrgreen:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
I'd settle for Wilko's tone... :mrgreen:

So would I. And I still can't figure out his technique even though he's explained it.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 03:21:26 AM »
I doubt it would be anything like a Klan rally.

The few folk that I've seen make any nod towards politics (cleaned up hastily, I must add) seemed to be going that way.

Wilko's technique was, I think, an approximation of Mick Green's technique, which was an approximation of Chet Atkins' technique... Daniel Ash of Bauhaus was approximating Wilko, and no doubt somebody ripped of Ash at some point.... so all roads lead to Chet Atkins!

From what I can make out, Wilko keeps the right hand going all the time, like a motor. He then uses his left hand to block the strings and fret as necessary. I can keep it up for about 20 seconds or so... it seems wasteful but he makes it work, and those tunes don't sound right played any other way. I think his technique also suited the fast attack of his HH IC100 amps, whereas he sounds a bit murky with the Fender tube amps he is using now. You need an IC100, set to clean and turned up so loud the speakers break up slightly! Your neighbours will love you.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 02:37:46 PM »
I knew the Mick Green link (saw the Pirates, and his style of playing) but not the Chet one...

Didn't Hendrix also employ some of those stylizations...?

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 06:59:54 PM »
I don't see a connection to Chet. IMHO Wilko's road leads back to James Burton, and James calls Scotty Moore his main influence.

One of several videos where Wilko explains it. Looks easy until you try to do whole songs with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPg9P1q2icA