Author Topic: Gibson and Kiss fans take note...  (Read 11244 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Gibson and Kiss fans take note...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 06:46:54 PM »
I am really into this.  ... despite lack of a neck pickup. 
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 06:57:44 PM »
you still into it at 2,800. :P reading down the testimonial list there is this guitard named jack frost who they say is in anthrax, singer joey belladonna's BACKUP band. i bet anthrax would like to know this. belladonna is a prick with a hugh ego who would be quite happy to have anthrax as his band. :puke:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 07:14:37 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 08:56:13 PM »
you still into it at 2,800. :P reading down the testimonial list there is this guitard named jack frost who they say is in anthrax, singer joey belladonna's BACKUP band. i bet anthrax would like to know this. belladonna is a prick with a hugh ego who would be quite happy to have anthrax as his band. :puke:

Giggling my way through this ;D. I will dispense with all personal commentary regarding any above mentioned person or persons. I think what they are saying is that when Belladonna tours independently of Anthrax, Jack is his guitar player.
And yeah, $2800 is a big bite for ANY bass. He must think he's Gibson or something.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:04:37 PM »
They make expensive, butt-ugly hideously bad relic jobs. 

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 04:33:19 AM »
Can I get one that's not beat up?  ;D

It's a shame Gibson didn't build a reissue with the proper body shape like this...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 05:06:45 AM »
Can I get one that's not beat up?  ;D

Yes, they explicitly mention that (though the bass seems to cost the same either way - no matter the relicing hours saved, which is a major crock).

And no, I don't like that price, but that's all moot to me as I can't hardly buy a $600 bass these days either. Also, it's like the first time in a long while where a new bass model spoke to me at all (and this one really does).  Been having fun imagining what I'd do to this (which is even more unfeasible; I'm a masochist apparently)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 06:01:00 AM »
I love the body and neck.  Hate pickup placement and pick guard.  The price is a joke.  To be honest, knowing what takes to build a bass has jaded my view and opinion of custom shops and builders.  A thing over $2000 is really ridiculous.  I've come to believe. Just because a custom shop or builder can only make so many basses a year doesnt make them inherently more valuable.  It just makes them more scarce.  With so much of the building process machine oriented, the "handmade" bass is rarely carved out of a block of wood by a sculptor.  If it were, rich morons would be the only customers.  Sorry!  I said I was jaded!

They didn't make a lot of Edsels either and it didn't make them more valuable except as an example of poor design and low market interest. 

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:20 AM »
ah yes, the classic premium paid for "relic-ing", they should at least take that off if I want a shiny one  ;D

At 2800 it's getting a little to close to what you could pay for an origina beat upl slab EBO and the relic-ing comes free.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 07:03:24 AM »
At 2800 it's getting a little to close to what you could pay for an origina beat upl slab EBO and the relic-ing comes free.

Good poing, mang. ... though I would not be able to bring meself to mod an original.

I love the body and neck.  Hate pickup placement and pick guard. 

I like the guard well enough (it could be tweaked a bit; easy enough, but yeah, for that price I'd want it perfect/turn key).  You know I'm a neck pup guy, but this thing got me thinking (because everything else about it seems so right):  take the single coil option for the stock pup, and add a 4 wire neck bucker.  Switch options are neck only or bridge + neck in single coil mode (still bucking).

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:41:53 AM by Granny Gremlin »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 10:25:54 AM »
Geez, I was preping a bass for finishing today and found a couple dents in the back.  Guess I should have dragged it around my shop some more and made it a relic job.  Seriously,  I never understood the relic thing, but that's just me.  I've always been attracted to shiny objects!   8)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »
Their other models are clones or near-clones of classic Fender and Gibson designs. You have to wonder why they strayed with this one, pickup placement, pickguard and color. How many people outside of this forum will even recognize it as a take on the original EB-0?

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
Takes me twenty or more years of gigging to relic a bass

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 04:24:09 PM »
Two Hamer slammers on Ebay this week, one like this (no case) just went for $130 shipped, the other (black) is about the same price.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 05:15:28 PM »
Their other models are clones or near-clones of classic Fender and Gibson designs. You have to wonder why they strayed with this one, pickup placement, pickguard and color. How many people outside of this forum will even recognize it as a take on the original EB-0?

Like I said, Kiss fans.
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=222.0